Thursday, February 28, 2008

Free markets are for weiners?

So, I just got done watching Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room. (Quick shout out for ClearPlay, mediocre DVD player, but a fantastic service). I think everyone that works at or will work at any company ever should see this movie. Basically, when greed takes over and profits are sought after to such an extreme that people forget what they are actually doing in real life, really bad things happen.

It's basically about the collective brain behind the whole thing, the top brass at Enron. Watching it, it reminded me of that feeling I got at the end of Star Wars Episode III, when Anakin Skywalker finally becomes Darth Vader, and I KNEW it was going to happen the whole movie but still thought at the end: "that could actually happen to me. He had it all and he had a good heart, but he got selfish and prideful and destroyed himself." That's the EXACT same feeling I got at the end of the movie. Really brilliant people who destroyed themselves and thousands of people's lives, because they kept on lying and were way greedy.

Interesting facts I didn't really know:
  • Enron actually in some way CAUSED the California Blackouts (or made them a lot worse) by deliberately encouraging power plants to shut down, so that the price of energy would go up.
  • They (the CEO and other higher-ups) would actually do little plays (that they videotaped!) about their shady business practices. I think the overall tone being "of course this is all legal because everyone is letting us do this, but can you believe we're allowed to report higher profits that don't exist yet? Wheeeeeee!"
  • Who knew I would ever think something like "the government should step in and regulate that crap"?

You should see it.

2 comments:

The Dillon 6 said...

I know there are other things to comment about, but first and foremost, we are CLOSE, PERSONAL friends with the brains behind ClearPlay! :)

Kimball said...

Ok....new post please.